Friday, May 26, 2006

The Weekender

Oh glorious 3-day weekend! And even better half day from work. Seems like lots of folks I know are sticking around for the unofficial kickoff to summer. While others I know are in the process of pulling up stakes to go elsewhere (you shall be sorely missed).
What to do, what to do?

Comic movie fans rejoice! X-3 opens today. And with me having a half day, John and I are going to an early early show. To top that off Spiderman 3 starts filming in NYC today, around the corner from my office! John went over and didn’t see anyone he recognized though.

Also today is the opening of the Water Taxi Beach Bar, my possible new alternative to drinking outdoors at the Beer Garden (until it too gets full of wayward Brooklynites and LESers). Check out the Harry's Bar at the man made beach located adjacent to the Hunters Point launch site of the water taxi. I want to take a random ride on one of those puppies. The weather may be iffy right now, but they still plan on kicking off at 4pm today.

Saturday starts the Beer Garden’s Annual Czech & Slovak Festival. There will be folk dancing, a brass band, other entertainment, and lots of beer and food, for an admission price of $10. The fun continues on Sunday. Good luck getting past the hipsters. They start the shindig at noon, I'd recommend arriving then.
Tomorrow night, if not at the BG, enjoy a relaxing evening at Waltz Astoria as they welcome back their Talk Wine series with wine enthusiast Kevin Rose. I’ve got to get myself over to one of these. I love wine but I’m such a novice at the intricacies. I’ll drink red wine with anything!

Sunday take a canoe trip in Hallet’s Cove, located a few blocks north of Socrates Sculpture Park, courtesy of the LIC Boathouse. While you’re there do a treat for the community and volunteer to clean up the cove so it’s kept nice and tidy for community use.

Monday take a long walk down Broadway and enjoy the sights, sounds and yummy smells of the Broadway street fair. Mmmmm, falafel, strawberry shakes….I need to be careful before I drool all over the place!

If you're feeling really adventurous Rockaway Beach officially opens this weekend! Getting there via A train is a real pain. Hop the express Q59 ( i think that's the number) in Woodside and go straight there.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home