Monday, April 24, 2006

Cavo

So this weekend was kind of an Earth Day activity bust, but events are rescheduled for next week when the sun reappears (hopefully). Despite the cold and wet I had a fantastic dinner on Friday night that I just had to tell you about.
Jamie was recently offered a job at Cavo (42-18 31st ave) and she wanted some company to check out the place. John and I, always eager to eat happily obliged. I wasn’t sure what to expect at Cavo. With the ridiculous amount of Greek cafés and lounges we could have been in for more of the same gaudy décor, smoke filled rooms and the usual tired Greek fare. Oh boy, was I wrong!
Luckily we were spared the velvet rope scene that I used to pass by when I lived on 30th ave. Upon entering you’re right in the bar/lounge area where you can just relax with drinks for the eve or enjoy a cocktail while waiting for a seat in the dining area.
We were all quite impressed when we saw the dining area. It was huge, and simply beautiful. The lighting definitely set a romantic mood. The music wasn’t all Greek, but what was being played wasn’t exactly my fare (eh, I’m a rock n roll gal). The music was at an acceptable level, but as the night progressed so did the volume and it made it a little hard to hear Jamie across the table. Back, to the huge space. They are able to accommodate a large number of tables with out patrons knocking into each other as they get up and move (I love Brick but it’s quite a maneuvering game around all the tables).
The fixtures added an elegant touch and the high ceilings lent to that spacious feel. I wish I had been able to see the outdoor garden, but next time I’ll be sure to eat there (provided it’s not 50 degrees). Our waiter was courteous and friendly and prompt and available too, which we liked.
The menu is chock full of unpronounceable Greek delights divided into 3 categories, Cold appetizers, Hot appetizers and Entrees. Although the names of all the dishes are in Greek, the details of each dish are in English and the waitstaff must take a course in pronunciation. So rest assured, if you can’t pronounce it, your server can.
We started off with an appetizer to share amongst the three of us (good thing too, because the portion was quite much for one). We chose the Astako Salata which was poached Maine lobster, marinated octopus, calamari, mussels & diver sea scallops with orange and ginger vinaigrette over greens and cous cous. It was so flavorful; it left our mouths watering for more.
Luckily for us we have no problems eating off each other’s plates and neither did Cavo, so we were all able to sample each other’s meals. John (big surprise here folks) had a steak. The Moscharisia Brizola, a pepper crusted bone in NY sirloin steak with red wine reduction and parmesean mashed potatoes. John said it was the best steak he had ever had. When Jamie tried it, she wished she had followed her gut and went with red meat. I tried the potatoes, which even I had to admit were better than mine. Even though Jamie wished she went the steak route that didn’t mean that she didn’t enjoy her Xteni, rosemary skewered charcoal grilled diver scallops over winter cous cous with lemon and parsley oil. She just ate it so fast she wished there was more. Luckily for her I had plenty of my Thalasomakoronada which was hand made spaghetti with fresh shrimp, diver scallops, baby octopus, calamari and tomatoes; a sea food lover’s delight. John and I both learned we quite like octopus. I thought it was incredibly flavorful, it seemed a bit spicy to me though. Jamie thought I was on crack or something because she couldn’t detect it. I did have to keep drinking water after every few bites. But I am the whitest Latina girl you will ever meet so I find spicy where others don’t. This doesn't mean I didn't like it though. I thought it was grand. I got quite full from my meal before I finished so Jamie was able to satisfy her hunger by working her way through my plate. As we finished up our bottle of wine and digested, we contemplated dessert and said to heck with it, we’re getting some. We decided to get 2 and share. The warm chocolate cake was divine! It was moist and almost mousse like in the middle and the vanilla gelato added a nice touch. The Napoleon of raspberries and strawberries with cream between layer of flakey filo dough was a nice, light compliment to the rich chocolate cake.
I had to practically roll home after this meal it was so good.
A wonderfully prepared and presented meal is always followed up by an equally prepared check. Expect a dinner for two with one appetizer and wine to go over $100. But, it is sooooo worth it. Guys, if you really want to wine and dine your gal, this is the place.
It’s not an all the time dining experience but it is quite a divine experience and should not be passed up due to any preconceptions based on other Greek establishments.
And if you happen to get a cute waitress named Jamie, say hi and tip her well…that’s rent money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home