Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Angel Salon & Spa-The Pedicure Results

So, over the weekend I had my first pedicure ever. I didn’t know what to expect, but I knew Jamie and Antonella’s gift certificate was going to get me better than an average pedicure (see previous post for description). Angel Salon and Spa has middle eastern décor and music. It also has a somewhat elaborate entrance, which seems bigger than the area in the back where the treatments are done. But it’s very nice and relaxing. One is instantly at ease (ok I was a little nervous, I hate feet and the idea of someone willingly doing stuff to them is a little weird to me). So here’s what happened. I go to the back and there’s one of those foot spa things to soak your feet in. But you don’t dive right in. First she files the nails (which she did back and forth and for nail strength that is a big no-no. that leads to easier splitting and weakens the nail). Then you get to soak your feet for a bit before she takes out the tools to manicure the toes. Following this is a green scrub rubbed into your feet followed by another soaking. Next is a cocoa butter lotion applied to the feet and calves that dries up a bit and is removed with a warm towel. Finally, before the polish, a lotion is applied to the feet. My biggest gripe is that the woman was really quiet (not that I wanted a chatty cathy, I had my latest issue of Glamour to amuse me) and was not very specific about what she needed you to do. Every movement was “up.” Up where?? And she would be annoyed if I didn’t get it. Of course I wouldn’t if when you said up the second time and I did what I did the first time and you now mean something else! I also didn’t like, and noticed all too late, that the instruments didn’t look disinfected. They were lying on the table to the side, and may have been previously but usually when I have seen nail tools they are in some sort of disinfectant. I didn’t ask though. Finally, after the polish of your choice, you’re placed into thong sandals (which I could’ve done myself but she did it) and moved from your nice comfy chair (without that spa basin thing being removed so I almost tripped over everything) and seated at this horribly uncomfortable chair so that a mini fan can be placed at your feet to hasten the drying. Well, that caused air bubbles in the polish, and my butt to go numb. The tops of my toes aren’t as dry as they were before (thanks to that foot tweezer thing) but my soles sure still are. All in all I really didn’t feel very hydrated or rejuvenated, as the description says. BUT, I’ve never had a pedicure and really don’t know if Jamie and Ella got their money’s worth. Maybe I am expecting more than I should, I dunno. But I surely won’t be going back for a pedicure there anytime soon. Jamie actually has been there before and she had quite a pleasant experience for her facial (which is a different person) so maybe it’s a combo of my technician person and the fact that the foot thing makes me uncomfortable. I’d still give them a shot, just not at my feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home