Friday, May 12, 2006

The Weekender

It’s Mother’s Day Weekend kiddies. Have you gotten your mom something yet? I’m taking my mom out to Brick for dinner with my brother. Good thing she didn’t want brunch since when I called for a reservation they were pretty booked. Some other alternatives could be Le Sans Souci or Fatty’s for brunch or dinner, or maybe Mundo or Cavo for dinner. Whatever your choice book it now! I’m also now trying to figure out what to get her. I was all set to buy her some gorgeous handmade earrings from these girls in my office and now, due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to find a last minute gift. What to do? I thought of heading out to the good ole Queens Center Mall which has undergone such a huge transformation from what it was like when I was a kid (there’s light in there now!) and then I thought about some place local. I’m going to check out Plum Boutique and see if I can find something really cool and unique for her. If it’s just too hip for her, then I’ll head out to the mall.

Mom’s day isn’t the only thing happening around town.
The Chocolate Factory features the last weekend of Old Tricks. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s up next at this multi arts facility as they sound pretty darn cool. They are also finishing up the Nightfishing exhibit by local artist Patrick Neal.
The Astoria Performing Arts Center finishes it’s run of Forever Plaid. This deliciously goofy revue centers on four young, eager male singers killed in a car crash in the 1950s on the way to their first big concert, and now miraculously revived for the posthumous chance to fulfill their dreams and perform the show that never was.
AMMI continues it’s Robert Altman retrospective, this weekend showcases Popeye, amongst others.
Waltz-Astoria has a weekend of live music happening to entertain us, pre Mother’s Day.
Since this weekend might be a washout, if not just plain gloomy it’s probably the best time to beat the ever increasing line to the Beer Garden. I’m all in favor of them having an express line for Astorians. Photo ID and a utility bill (for those that move so much they never get an ID with Astoria on it). It’s great that Astoria is getting recognition as a cool hip place to hang out, but not if it’s at the expense of Astorians being able to enjoy their own neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home