Saturday, January 07, 2006

Mundo Deliciouso!

OK OK, so the Spanish isn’t perfect, and my Puerto Rican mother would be ashamed I couldn’t do better but the point I am trying to make is that Mundo is absolutely delicious!! I went there a few weeks ago for their “Dinner with the Artist.” Every month they feature an artists work in the restaurant. This month is the photography installation “Lost Angel” by local Astoria artist Liz Dembrowsky. Liz kindly invited me to share her opening night with her. It was the perfect opportunity to support a friend and local artist as well as check out a great new restaurant in the neighborhood.
Mundo is a very very small intimate restaurant on 32nd street just off Broadway (going towards 34th Ave). It’s easy to miss it if you aren’t looking for it, since it is tucked into the street, but this restaurant should not be. It seats maybe 30 people tops, but I think it works for it. What makes the ambiance great is the revolving artwork on the walls as well as the incredibly friendly staff. It’s Turkish and Argentinean fusion, which first had me thinking, huh? But after looking over their menu (available on their website) and eating there, I was like, yuuuuummmm. It totally works. Liz did a pre fixe, and I’ve been meaning to go back for a full meal (one of the reasons for the delay on this posting, sorry Liz!) so I can only comment on a few dishes. I started off with a lovely bowl of Oaty Tomato Soup. It was divine. We followed that with a bowl of spinach dip, made from home made yogurt, garlic and naturally spinach and served with warm pita. They give you a disproportionate amount of the two, but were happy to provide more pita. Unfortunately my picky eating habits, as well as the fact that I totally scarfed down both the soup and dip, left me unable to choose from the third course. But Danielle, my occasional foodie in crime, chose the emapanada, which looked delicious (although I don’t eat meat) and gorgeous. It looked a little smaller than the ones my mom makes, but she makes everything big. It was very full and looked golden and flaky and according to Danielle, very very good. But, the best, best part was the warm spiced wine. Poured out of a teapot it smelled absolutely divine. And it tasted as much. I found a recipe for making it and will post it soon.

I can’t wait to go back to Mundo to try a full meal. And please go check it out yourself, and check out Liz’s art too. You’ll be glad you did on both counts.

1 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Mundo. Just wanted to let you know their non-meat empanada -- stuffed with spinach and feta -- is fantastic. I love this place and appreciate all the vegetarian options. Bunny's Fever (silly name) is my favorite -- it's a grilled carrot dip. So good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home