Friday, December 09, 2005

On a snowy day

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we’ve no place to go,
Make it stop make it stop MAKE IT STOP!

Seriously, folks, do we really need to be accosted by holiday songs while walking down Steinway street? And it’s not only just traditional carols, new, modern songs by the likes of Celine Dion. Yeesh. Can’t I go shopping in peace? I’m really wary of walking down the main drag for fear my poor ears will burn from hearing such bad music. Do other neighborhoods in Queens do this? Growing up in Jackson Heights, I don’t remember 37th Ave or 82nd street blaring the carols. Is it just us? Was there a vote I missed in the 5 or so years I've lived in Astoria? Did we overwhelmingly decide that yes, while we are minding our business shopping we need to hear the same music we hear in all the stores on the street as well? I think we’re one step away from all shops and the street speakers all being on the same channel or soundtrack so that when you enter or exit a store you don’t miss a beat. Also, is it just me or do find that when you walk down Steinway, let’s say from 34th ave to 30th ave, without stopping at a store, you start to hear the same songs again? I think there is some sort of torture or subliminal messaging behind this. Trick us into escaping the music to head into the stores and buy buy buy.
Have we caught on that I do not like Christmas carols? Unless it’s Kevin “Bloody” Wilson, I’m not interested.

What can we do to avoid this?
Spend some time in Astoria park. No holiday sounds and all white right now. Check it out before the snow gets all mucky and your tolerance for it expires.
See the exhibits at AMMI, along with a screening (conveniently posted below for your pleasure).
Warm up with some tea at Freeze Peach or Waltz-Astoria. Or, for warmth with a little something extra, try a hot whisky and some pool at NUA or Doyle’s, or McCann’s if you’re coming from the park.
Perhaps some sinful dessert and a latte at Ommonia.
Catch a movie, Narnia opens wide this week as does Syriana. And there's Brokeback Mountain or Memoirs of a Geisha opening in limited release.
Or defy the Steinway speakers and crank up the tunes on your portable, whatever format it may be. If I may be so bold, I will offer up what albums have been spinning on my shuffle since i reloaded it. I listen to a crazy selection. Maybe you will find something of interest to check out.

Johnny Cash-Unearthed (soooooooooooo good!)
Bree Sharp-A Cheap and Evil Girl/More BS
Velvet Goldmine Soundtrack
The Donnas-Gold Medal/Spend the Night/Turn 21/Get Skintight
Weezer-The Green Album/Maladroit/Pinkerton/The Blue Album
Joydrop-Metasexual
Gin Blossoms-New Miserable Experience
Lit-Atomic/A Place in the Sun/Tripping the Light Fantastic
Liz Phair-Whip Smart
Tonic-Sugar/Lemon Parade
Creedence Clearwater Revival-Chronicle Vol 1
Lifehouse-No Name Face
Don Dilego-The Lonestar Hitchhiker
Waiting for April
Eisley-Marvelous Things/Laughing City/Room Noises
Julia Darling-Figure 8
Fleetwood Mac-The Dance/Rumors

There, that ought to keep your ears from bleeding. Unless you like Christmas carols. In that case, take a long walk down Steinway. There's one more thing about Steinway Street perterbing me. Once I get a picture, I'll put it up

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home