Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Weekender

I do believe this South Astoria gal is having a Ditmars advenure Saturday.

First up, I'm going to take a nice long walk (as long as it isn't freezing) up Steinway to Ditmars. I can't believe how many times I must have failed to notice the Steinway clock. I took a picture of it last weekend. I'll get that up shortly, for anyone else who is as oblivious as I am (it's been up since December 10th).

I'll be stopping in around 2pm to check out the Seeds of Love fundraising event held at Curves (Ditmars and 36th st). I miss the Curves that was on Broadway, but I'm pretty happy with ASC (you know, when I actually go).

While I am up there I think I'll check out the wares at Inside Astoria. I went shopping there over Christmas, but didn't buy myself any presents. They have lots of nifty housewares, kitschy books, cool frames and even jewelry.

Not too sure where I am going to stop by for brunch or a bite, but depending on my mood I could get brunch at Igloo, Fatty's or Sparrow, or a bite at Oleput or Waltz-Astoria. Actually, tomorrow night Waltz is holding a meet and greet. How cool is that? What a great way to meet your neighbors and make new friends in the hood!

If that wasn't enough, later Saturday night, I may get to try one of the two new yummy sounding restaurants in the hood. I'm almost positive we'll be trying the new Southwestern joint Mojave. If we get lazy and stay much closer to home, perhaps we'll give Luna de Juarez a whirl.

Even though we may see a movie Friday night (I've been itching to see Juno) I don't think we'll be eating at the new Applebee's by the Kauffman. While that's some people's cup of tea, there's plenty more places left in Astoria for me to explore through my favorite sense, taste.

Speaking of movies, the Museum of the Moving Image is screening Chop Shop with both the director and star in person to field questions. In case you are unfamiliar with the movie:

2007, 84 mins. 35mm.
A deeply affecting slice of urban neorealism by Ramin Bahrani (Man Push Cart), this Queens-made film, set in the Iron Triangle near Shea Stadium, follows a 12-year-old orphan (Alejandro Polanco) who ekes out an existence with his sister (Isamar Gonzales).
A hit at the 2007 Cannes and Sundance Film Festivals.

Hopefully it's not so cold out that I decide to hibernate!
Make it a good weekend readers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home