Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Weekender

I’ll start us off with a neighborhood rumor.
Rumor: That Cup will be opening a rooftop bar with 48 beers on tap. Supposedly it will happen next year, if it gets out of the planning/thinking/discussing stages. While I do enjoy Cup and have not had any really bad experiences there, especially lately since they changed their menu, this seems odd. They can’t get the menu straight since the one I saw this weekend is at least the 4th or 5th since they opened. But I am pleased with the food there. I haven’t had a rude server although I have heard that other people have stopped going due to rude, bad or even just non existent service. They should probably work on making sure the ground level is sound before expanding. Cup has potential to be better than it is, but opening a rooftop bar won’t increase traffic or revenue, at least in my opinion. But if it does happen, I’d still love to check it out, I mean I only live like 2 blocks away. If it’s good and it works, then maybe this will be the answer to not being able to get into the Beer Garden.

Speaking of the Beer Garden, October starts on Sunday (as does the one week countdown to my birthday, I’m so shameless aren’t I?) so that means Octoberfest at the Beer Garden! Friday is the Spaten Octoberfest. Check it out for fun, prizes, giveaways, raffles and of course pitchers with friends. The website does not indicate any sort of cover for the event.
Saturday seems to be the BIG party. Come in for $10 between 1 and 10 pm to drink, eat, drink, be merry and did I mention drink? They will be featuring 2 bands, the Pilsner Brass Band and the Czech Polka Cruisers, a band from Texas.

Friday, get out to the movies! A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints opens in theatres. Unfortunately it won’t be playing at Kauffman. But you will be able to see it at AMC Empire 25, The Angelika and the AMC Loews Lincoln Square. All showtimes are on moviefone. Let’s all support a fellow Astorian and get out there and see this GREAT movie.

Waltz Astoria brings us another weekend of music to relax and imbibe to. Friday night enjoy some Bossa Nova with Rajit and Justin Smith at 9pm and on Saturday at 9 singer-songwriter Arielle Freedberg makes her debut at Waltz with her eclectic collection of pop-rock originals.

Art-o-Mat welcomes back it’s Poetry Sundays this weekend. Stop by from 2-4pm and share your words or appreciate what others have to say.

I saw something nifty on the Discover Queens website. Here’s the little image from the site, but as of this writing I can’t be more specific. I thought I’d put it out there for everyone though.


Say it ain't so, the last Astoria Street Fair of the year is this Sunday. Oh woe is me :( Catch the last trace of summer in the city at the Broadway Astoria Merchants & Professionals Fair between Cresent and 47th. That's plenty of street fair goodness. And a nice entry into October.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home