Friday, September 22, 2006

The Weekender

Fall’s here, but a little too early in my opinion. It’s not supposed to be like this until October! I refuse to wear a jacket until my birthday. October 8th for those of you taking note and wanting to shower me with pleasantries, gifts or alcohol. All are appreciated.

But until I can play on my birthday there are some nifty things that will keep me jolly in the meantime.

There’s a cute new store setting up shop on Ditmars called Inside Astoria(37-20 Ditmars Blvd). They’re full of cute items for your home, your pet or yourself. I’ve been meaning to go up there, and somehow missed it when I took my crazy walk (up Steinway from 34th ave, to Ditmars, down Ditmars to the park and back). This weekend is the perfect time. They’re having an opening celebration today and tomorrow where you’ll get 10% off, and there are rumors of treats and wine. Wine? In the middle of the day? And take another trip up to Ditmars? Sold.

Tonight is also the opening reception of Fingerprints: LIC Pierpost Photographs by Lauren Lombardo at the Chocolate Factory Theatre. While there you can also enjoy Mile of String - Right After “An original work of physical theater combining free-form text, multi-scale physical scores, and game structures, Right After's plot is centered around the radical life and work of sculptor Eva Hesse.”

Saturday Flux Factory lends its support to the Queens Blackout Division. No I’m not talking about a gang of unruly Queens residents waging war against Con Ed. They are an art collaborative that has discovered that the various nabes of Western Queens have become a laboratory for the latest in street art. They have put out a call to artists asking them to produce art in the streets of Western Queens. Flux Factory lends its space and resources to become a video archive, headquarters, and giant map for charting all the work going on in the neighborhood.

Saturday night Waltz Astoria enlightens wine drinkers on the finer points of vino with their monthly Talk Wine series hosted by Kevin Rose.

Sunday free Canoe Rides at Hallets Cove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home