Thursday, September 21, 2006

A guide to Recognizing Your Saints


I’m not good at movie reviews, which is why I stopped writing them. But I have to tell you about A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, especially since it hasn’t opened officially yet.
It’s good-really good. Especially for a first time director. From what I understand about the book it’s totally different, but it manages to capture a moment in time, weave his saints together and paint us a fabulous picture of his story. The way the film was cut was very non traditional. Repeated dialogue, the way the lighting changed, the way some scenes were fast paced. I just can’t adequately describe it. It was just something I haven’t seen before. It was told really well, visually and verbally. It was fun and deep at the same time. I just can’t get over it. Yes there are some anachronisms, most of which only astorians will know. Like the R train running on the el. That’s as close as they could get to a RR train, it’s not like those run anymore. Or when they’re on the steps at Ditmars and then go up to the tracks and it’s Astoria Blvd. IMDB did pick up on a flyer about 9/11 conspiracy theories taped to a lamp post. I totally missed that. Most people in Astoria will recognize something along the way, and that’s always fun when watching a movie.
Trust me, see this movie. Show your Astoria love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home