Friday, June 13, 2008

The Weekender

I'm going to have kind of a schizophrenic weekend. Sunday is both my first Father's Day without my dad but it's also the 4 year anniversary of my first date with John. Methinks I should keep myself occupied this weekend. What's perfect though is I've dug up some fun stuff to do! Saturday seems to be the better day for hitting up the park activities since we're supposed to get another bout of storms that night. It may just be a little soggy on Sunday. Hopefully we'll get all dried out in time for Sunday fun. Speaking of storms, check out what happened next door to me during that wicked bout of weather we had this week:




Luckily no one was hurt, but I am unsure how that car fared. Even more luckily there was no power damage since there are powerlines overhead where it fell. I've already witnessed power lines catching fire right near one apartment I lived in; it's not something I want to see again. As of today the tree is still there. Not in the middle of the street, but the branches are all over the sidewalk on one side and the trunk is taking up a parking space on the other.


On Repeat:
Friday night comedy at Mezzo Comedy Club
Yoga & Capoeria-Saturdays at Socrates
Pilates & Tai Chi-Sundays at Socrates
Sunday canoeing and kayaking in Hallets Cove
Sunday evening pub trivia at the Irish Rover (7pm 28th ave @ 38th st)

Tonight Waltz hosts Jazz Duo Eric DiVito and Motohito Fukishima at 9pm for $10. No link on the site so I couldn't preview it.

Socrates has a few more treats up it's sleeves for us. This weekend PlaylabNYC is presenting a production of Shakespeare's The Tempest, in the park, for free! Shakespeare's fairytale will be energetically but simply told, using a wooden stepladder, two small trunks of props and costume pieces and six actors. Check out the website linked above for more information about this group. They will be performing Saturday at 3 and Sunday at 1 and at 4.

Also this weekend at Socrates is another one of their 12-3pm artmaking workshops. Rock, Paper, Scissors with McKendree Key - A Socrates classic! Using recycled and natural materials, participants learn the basics of papermaking to create beautiful handmade paper.

Sunday Hell Gate Social's outdoor movie of the week is The Creature From the Black Lagoon. Grab a drink and some grub and catch a flick in their garden as the sun sets.

Sunday make sure you treat dad! Get some pub grub from Cronin and Phelan's or Dillengers. Or take him out for steak at Christos Steakhouse or Cavo. Or just take a walk through Astoria Park and catch up with him.

Coming up: I wanted to make sure I got this bit in since it sounds pretty cool. This Tuesday Socrates (man they are busy!) presents a free outdoor concert featuring Salt and Samovar at 6:30pm followed by Nicole Atkins and the Sea at 7:30. Check out Socrates' website for all the info, but I linked their names so you can check them out. I'm sure to be there with my blankie and some picnic snacks.

Make it a GREAT weekend everyone!

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger shannon said...

Wow, those pictures! This is 46th St, right? I live on this block too, very close to where the tree fell, and was pretty nervous about what was going on as I walked down from the subway. Crazy sight.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Jenn~*Firelight Jewelry*~ said...

Yup it is, howdy neighbor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home