Monday, November 21, 2005

Weekend shenanigans


Entertainment:
This weekend saw the opening of Walk the Line. Competing with Harry Potter I didn't expect it to top the box office, but it made an impressive second place showing. And here's something you don't see me do everyday, hell, ever-Reese Witherspoon did a really good job as June Carter. There I said it. Something about her as an actress has always bothered me, but she did a good job, and she certainly can belt out a tune. Joaquin Phoenix was spectacular as the Man in Black. The movie was simply mesmerizing. I was mouthing along the words to their songs and the Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis tunes. At one point I whispered to John that we were listening to the soundtrack of my childhood. This is what I grew up on. My dad was a fan of country music, especially the country that started to blend in with Rock n' Roll. If you have CMT they're running interviews and concerts of Johnny Cash. I spent part of Saturday afternoon watching those. What can I say, I can't get enough-even though my uncle just loaned my his 5CD box set. That will be some merry listening this week.

Eats:
Danielle and I had brunch at Le Sans Souci and once again it was a lovely time. If you haven't eaten there yet, it is a definite. Nestled in Astoria it's a quaint Fresh Bistro, providing a change of pace from Astoria's standard Greek and Italian fare. The restaurant itself is quite charming with its rustic wooden tables(and they actually don't cover it up!)fresh flowers on every table, French music in the background and stone walls. When weather permits a garden outside and an outdoor deck on Broadway are available for dining. And the food, mmmm. Not expensive and a nice helping(we are in Queens afterall, we eat in this borough)of fresh tasty food. I have to admit I've only had brunch here, but dinner is a definite in the near future. One of the best parts? The name fits the attitude of the establishment. Le Sans Souci roughly translates to Without Concern or worry. Danielle and I realized we had been sitting there eating and gossiping for 2 hours, and not once did we feel rushed or pressed to get out and free up a table, even though it started filling up circa 1pm. For brunch, I recommend the French Toast-you won't miss the syrup.
Can't wait to bring someone there for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home